Fictitious Characters- A reality in our minds



Imaginary friends during childhood were our best companions. The curious and inquisitive young mind finds comfort and solace engaging with the imaginary friends that cater to specific needs. All these wild fantasies gain physical form through various characters in cartoons, comics, stories and books.


One of the first characters that I longed to meet in real was Oswald the Octopus. The big blue friendly octopus was all that I looked forward to while coming home from school. The tiny black hat added to the gentlemanly qualities of Oswald. The fun loving and caring nature of Oswald got him many friends. My favourite part of the episodes would be when Oswald would sing to Winnie while playing his Piano. “You know Winnie, I am so glad my friends are friends again.” – Oswald in Friends Indeed

As I grew older, I read Tinkle like every Indian kid. I still remember most of the stories I read and all the characters. One of my most loved characters was Butterfingers, Amar Sen. I could relate to him so much not because I was similar to him but because my sister was exactly like him! Clumsy, awkward and always getting into trouble, it seems like all of us right now. Ah, how many precious things of mine would my butterfingered sister have destroyed. “Mum! Dad! I’ve rubbed a caterpillar into my eye!” – Butterfingers in Tinkle 596, January 2010


One of the first Indian short stories that I read were that of Feluda. Each story was set in a exciting location and the description of the topography was enthralling. The detective's exceptional ability to grasp so many details in a single glance and to put them together effortlessly was interesting for me to read. I would try looking at things when I was in the bus and try to see if I could find clues but well, I never did. “Besides, he is good at cricket, knows at least a hundred indoor games, a number of card tricks, a little hypnotism and can write with both hands.” –Tapesh on Feluda in Emperor’s Ring

My favourite literary series will always be Harry Potter. One of the characters that I adore is Dobby the elf. Before I read Harry Potter, all my ideas of elves and goblins came from Enid Blyton’s stories. However, Dobby is unlike the previous notions that I had. He is a loving and slightly unconventional because he unlike the other elves feels the need to be treated with respect. Dobby goes to any length to help Harry Potter and is selfless as he is willing to take great risks for him. “Dobby has never been asked to sit down by a wizard — like an equal” – Dobby in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Among television characters, I personally adore Rosa Diaz from Brooklyn Nine-Nine. She is fierce, strong and a serious-minded woman. Her independence and rationality are inspirational. The confidence she has in herself and her assertive nature shows her powerful personality. “Just forget stuff, like a cool person.” – Rosa in Season 2, Episode 6 of Brooklyn Nine-Nine


I have so many memories associated with all these characters and I wish I could live in my own fictional world with them.






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hope, Choice and Joy

Hegemony in Patriarchy

Me & Everyone: Learning Acceptance