Pareidolia: The Grumpy Tree

It is common for us to perceive faces in various objects. One that I notice in daily life is car headlights. Some cars look happy, some angry and some sad. This tendency to interpret a random stimulus as something identifiable is known as pareidolia in psychology. This phenomenon gives immense scope for creativity and imagination. Here is an attempt to build a story around one image of a tree that appears to be grumpy:

The morning rays struck my hard and wrinkly surface, waking me up from the cold of the night. I have lived in the backyard of Padma's house since the day she tenderly picked me up from the nursery when I was only a month old. I found my home, the nourishing soil of the backyard gave me strength. The excitement to grow, to branch out and reach the sky was not restricted to me. Padma too eagerly waited for the day she could tie a swing to one of my strong branches and rock with the wind. Each morning Padma would water me with care and I would thirstily absorb all of it. Numerous evenings were spent with Padma sharing her feelings and thoughts with me.  I was growing and so was she. When I was a sapling for almost fifteen years, she had already passed through various stages of her life. When I first began bearing fruits, she was going to leave me. I couldn't keep up with the pace of her maturation. I failed to fulfill her childhood dream as she was no longer a child when I became steady enough to accommodate a swing. The memories of her incessant banter and caressing touch are all that I have of her. The little watering can which she had to fill several times before I was satisfied, lay rusted and grimy in a dark corner of the deserted shed. My only acquaintances now are the spirited squirrels that tickle my spine and the cawing crows that I cease to understand. All day I long for Padma. The occasional cloudburst is my only source of water since my aged roots are no longer able to lengthen to the reach the declining groundwater. The grass around me is unkempt and uneven. I have grown lonely and isolated. How I wish I could go back to the nursery where Padma chose me among all the other green saplings. Everyone says I look grumpy. Yes, I am grumpy. I am withdrawn and I live in the hope of seeing my loving companion again.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hope, Choice and Joy

Hegemony in Patriarchy

Me & Everyone: Learning Acceptance